Do you have trouble cleaning the outside of your windows? Double hung windows are designed to allow you to clean the outside of your windows from the inside of your home.
With 300 plus days of sunshine a year in Colorado, keeping your windows clean is a must if you enjoy the sunlight coming through your windows. However, cleaning windows is not always glamorous, and it can be challenging getting both the inside and outside of your windows clean. But did you know that if you have Simonton double hung windows in your home, they are easy to clean inside and out from the interior, due to their inward tilting sashes?
Double hung is a term used to describe windows where the top and bottom portions of the window both open. The two sashes slide up and down, providing better options for air circulation in older homes or homes with higher ceilings. Simonton double hung windows have latches that, when released, enable you to pull the sashes in to clean both sides of the window from inside of your home. This eliminates the safety issues of using a ladder to clean windows on upper floors of your home and allows for a crystal-clear view of the Colorado sunshine from your double hung windows year-round.
Steps for Cleaning Your Double Hung Windows
1. Turn the lock in the center of the two sashes counterclockwise to unlock the window.
2. Slide the lower sash at least 3 inches toward the top of the window. Squeeze the two tilt latches inward toward the window and hold. This will disengage the latches. Gently pull the top of the lower window toward you until it is in a horizontal position. Once the window sash is free from the frame area, release the tilt latches.
3. Slide the upper sash down at least 2 inches. Squeeze the two tilt latches and gently pull the top of the sash towards you just as you did with the lower sash. Rest the upper sash on top of the lower sash for support while cleaning.
4. Clean the upper sash first to avoid drips or overspray landing on a freshly cleaned bottom sash, which will require you to clean it twice.
5. Once clean, raise the upper sash first and engage the tilt latches. Slide the upper sash back up, then clean and close the lower sash in the same manner.
The video below from Simonton, featuring Theresa, from My Fix It Up Life, will show you how to properly operate and clean a double hung window. For more window maintenance and repair tips visit Simonton’s website here.